Cooking Thursday - Cheater Chicken and Dumplings
For more Cooking Thursday recipes join us at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom.
We love chicken and dumplings around here. I had never, ever eaten them before I met my husband but they have quickly become one of my favorite cooking foods. I like to make them completely from scratch but sometimes I just don't have the time or the patience to do it. Hence, my "cheater" version.
8 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast Tenderlions
2 Quarts Water
2 Chicken Buillon Cubes
2 Carrots Chopped
2 Celery Ribs Chopped
2 Cans Plain Grands Biscuits
1. Cut chicken breast tenderloins into bite sized pieces, and place in soup pan.
2. Add in two quarts of water.
3. Add in 2 chicken bouillon cubes. Maggi is my favorite.
4. Or if you really want to cheat use some pre-made chicken broth instead of water and chicken bouillon cubes.
5. Add in carrots and celery.
6. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to low and let it simmer for 30 minutes.
7. While soup is simmering it's time to get your dumplings ready. Roll biscuits out on a floured surface.
Be sure to use plain biscuits, butter flavored will result in an awful tasting soup. Believe me, I learned this the hard way. I honestly didn't think about it while I was cooking.
8. Use a pizza cutter to cut biscuits into squares for dumplings. Be sure to cut squares small!
9. Put dumplings in soup pot and let cook for an additional 15 minutes.