Join us for Cooking Thursday at Diary of a Stay at Home Mom.
There are several recipes that I use on a regular basis that I tweak to fit my family, I never realized how many recipes that I actually do tweak until I started blogging. Olive Garden's potato soup is one of my family's favorite soups, and I found an excellent recipe a few years ago that is always the basis of my own potato soup recipe but I don't cook it the way that they do. For one my family doesn't like the kale, and second we have a large family so we require a large pot of soup. So I thought I would share how I make it.
Recipe is for a family of 6 with leftovers.
12 potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch squares
2 quarts of water
3 one-ounce Chicken Bouillon Cubes
1 pound of bacon
1 medium onion, diced
2 cups heavy cream
4 tablespoons garlic
salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large soup pan mix together potatoes, water and chicken bouillon cubes. Bring to a boil. After it has reached a boil, reduce heat to medium and allow to simmer for 20 minutes.
2. While potatoes are boiling cook bacon in a frying pan. Once bacon is cooked, remove it from pan.
3. In the same pan that bacon was cooked in, cook until it is translucent.
4. After potatoes have simmered for 20 minutes, crumble in bacon, add in onion, heavy cream, and mixed garlic.
5. Cook soup for another 20 minutes over medium heat, stirring frequently.
6. Salt and pepper to taste.