Cooking Thursday - Easy Pineapple Upside Down Cake
We always have a snack or dessert each night after supper. I never plan out what I am going to have when I do my menu plan, and depend on what I have in my pantry for snacks. Some nights they are simple, and other nights I cook something a little more extravagant. One of my favorite desserts to make from my pantry is pineapple upside down cake.
1 can pineapple (you can use crushed, tidbits, or slices it doesn't matter)
cherries (which I did not have when I made this)
3/4 cups brown sugar
white or yellow cake mix
1. Drain pineapple juice from can and save it for use later.
2. Grease bottom of a cake pan and preheat oven.
3. Spread pineapple and cherries (if you are using them) across bottom of the cake pan.
4. Sprinkle pineapple with brown sugar.
5. Mix cake mix according to package directions with one exception, substitute the pineapple juice for the water that is called for in the recipe. For example, my cake mix called for 1 1/2 cups of water. I had one cup of pineapple juice, so I used it and a 1/2 cup of water.
6. Pour cake mixture into the cake pan.
7. Bake according to cake mix directions.
8. Once cake is removed from oven allow it to cool for a few minutes before inverting onto a serving tray.