Homemade Rotel for Canning
Many of you know that I have just recently discovered Rotel, and instantly fell in love with it. With my tomatoes from my garden just starting to come in I decided to can my own homemade version of Rotel, and it turned out great. Here is how I did it.
1. First you will want to blanche and peel your tomatoes as I described in this post.
2. Next chop up your tomatoes you will need about one gallon of chopped tomatoes for this recipe.
2. Add in 1/4 cup cut up Chile peppers (I used red but green will work as well), 2 cups of diced green peppers, one large diced onion (canned Rotel doesn't have onions in it so you can leave them out if you want but I wanted onions in mine), 1/2 cup white vinegar, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 1/2 cups sugar.
3. Cook over medium heat until mixture begins to thicken. Once it begins to thicken remove the Rotel from heat.
4. You are now ready to fill your jars. Since you are putting hot Rotel into the jars you will want to heat the jars before filling them. I do this by placing them in the dishwasher and running them on the sanitize cycle.
5. After you have filled the jars, stick a plastic (do not use metal!) spatula into each jar to remove any air bubbles.
6. Before placing lids and rings on jars, be sure to wipe off the rim of each jar.
7. Process jars in a pressure cooker for thirty-five minutes at ten pounds.