Four Tier Cupcake Stand Tutorial

Are you sick of this picture yet?  I know I have posted it to a lot of posts since Sunshine's Luau party but hopefully today is the last post it will be popping into.  (However I make no promises.)  Today I am going to post a semi-tutorial showing how I made it.  Let me preface this by saying I have NEVER, EVER written a tutorial like this nor do I claim to be a great crafter.  In fact I know I am a messy, non-patient crafter but I am working on that one. 

I started out with one picee of this Tri-Ply 4x4 underlayment that I bought at Michael's.  It was in the $5 to $8 range, I am not sure how much it was because I originally bought it for another project.  From this board my husband cut a 9" square, 15" square, 20" square and 24" square. 

Ignore the rectangles in the above picture I didn't end up using them.  I also used an old wooden broom handle for the center support of the stand.  We cut the broom handle into three 8" pieces.

Using Gorilla Glue Wood Glue (love that stuff) I took the 24" square and glued one support beam in the center of the square.  I allowed this beam to dry completely before I added the 20" square to the top of it.  I continued the glue, let dry process until I had added the 15" and 9" squares as well.  (I hope this makes sense - please feel free to ask questions if it doesn't).  I didn't use anything stronger than glue because the stand isn't going to be handling anything heavier than cupcakes, cookies, or sandwiches.

We ended up using masking tape to hold everything still until it dried completely.  The 20" square was still pretty wobbly, so we ended up adding cutting a dowel rod into 4 pieces and gluing it onto each corner between the 24" and 20" squares for additional support.  (See bottom picture for more details)

I painted it white with a quart of Porter Paints White Hi-Hide semi-gloss paint.  It didn't take anywhere near the whole quart and covered the wood easily.

Now were I to make it again here is what I would change:

I don't know that I would make it four tiers, I think three tiers would have been more than adequate.

I would have made more a size difference between the bottom two tiers.  Instead of making it 24" and 20" I would have probably made it 24" and 18" but then I would also have to adjust the top two tier sizes as well.

I am linking this post up to We Did It! Wednesday at Sew Much Ado.


Popular posts from this blog

My Grandmother's Green Beans

Menu Plan Monday, June 5 to 11, 2017