Every year for New Year's Eve we celebrate with a yearly "birthday" cake that is adorned with numeral candles to signify the year. This year we wanted something different, so Sunshine and I came up with our Cake Parfaits.
Our inspiration for this dessert was the New Year's Eve "Party in a Glass" Parfaits from The Cozy Apron. These looked awesome but there were a few things about this recipe that I knew wouldn't work for our family. First, she used raspberry preserves in hers and my family just isn't a big fan of raspberries. Second, the original recipe contains alcohol, definitely not kid friendly.
So with that in mind we set off to make our own.
Pound Cake (I bought a Sara Lee frozen one that I thawed out before use)
2-3 jars of Strawberry Ice Cream Topping depending on how many you will be making (I only bought one - next time I will buy two for five parfaits)
Cherries with Stems
1. Cut pound cake into tiny cubes, and place about 1/2 cup of pound cake in the bottom of each wine glass.
2. On top of pound cake place about two heaping tablespoons of Strawberry Ice Cream Topping.
3. Next spread on one heaping spoonful of Cool Whip.
4. Add another 1/4 cup of pound cake on top of the Cool Whip layer.
5. On top of the pound cake add in another heaping tablespoon of Strawberry Ice Cream Topping.
6. Spray on the Whip Cream.
7 Top each glass with a cherry. Yes, the cherries are missing in ours - only because the store was sold out of cherries!
I used about half of the pound cake and made five servings. A full pound cake should make anywhere from ten to twelve servings. I would purchase two to three jars of the Strawberry Ice Cream Topping depending on how many parfaits you plan to make.